Oxburgh Hall was built in 1482 courtier Sir Edmund Bedingfield, whose family have lived here for continuously for 500 often tumultuous years. The fact that the house still stands is an achievement in itself. It has survived a dreadful fire set by Parliamenterian forces during the Civil War when the family were staunch Royalists and Catholics. It had periods of near dereliction and a threat of demolition. However, the family's unshakable Catholic faith and the desire to preserve the memory of their ancient past are a strong force to overcome. In later years, when the fortunes of the families were good, the occupants restored the house to its former glory and purchased furniture and paintings. In leaner years no improvements were made. But the result is a beautiful house. And, most importantly, this is where the tapestries of Mary, Queen of Scots are displayed!
The family was forced to sell the house after World War II, and a bank bought it as an investment. They then tried to sell it in lots, but the only interest on Lot 1 which included the house, was with a company that wanted to buy the house for the oak in the ceilings, the carved moldings, fireplaces, and the bricks. They intended to tear it down. Instead the investment company sold the house back to the original owners for a reduced price. The family then turned over the house to the National Trust in 1952 when the upkeep became too great.